The line through Ledbury was opened by the original West Midlands Railway Company in 1861, connecting Hereford to Worcester with principal stations at Ledbury, Colwall, and Malvern. It was bought out by the Great Western Railway in 1863. In 1885 a branch line was opened connecting Ledbury to Gloucester, via Dymock and Newent and known as ‘The Daffodil Line’, this branch line closed to passenger traffic in 1959 with a truncated section between Dymock and Gloucester remaining open to goods traffic only until 1964. Today part of the track bed of the line forms the Ledbury Town Trail.
Ledbury lost its original station building and goods yard in about 1970 and, in 1985 a large section of the double track main line between Worcester and Hereford was singled making Ledbury the only passing place for trains between Malvern Wells and Shelwick Junction (outside Hereford). The site of the former goods yard, which filled the space behind the signal box, now forms a trading estate adjacent to the station.
In 1987 the current ticket office was installed at the station. It is one of only a handful of ticket offices in the country which is run privately.
** more information about the history of Ledbury Station to come **